Graphic design has always been a popular career choice among youth, but with new technological development being introduced into our lives it has become more important than ever. Today, all kinds of people use technology so it has become very important for businesses to build technologies that are user-friendly and easy to navigate. And graphic designers are the ones who help businesses build products that are attractive and user-friendly.
Graphic Designing: Tools Used
Graphic designers, web designers and digital artists are all interrelated terms. If you are an aspiring graphic designers, you should have knowledge of following tools:
- Adobe Photoshop: It’s used for editing and manipulating photographs/images, improving lighting and colour, adding special effects, removing blemishes, creating new images from scratch etc.
- Adobe Illustrator: It’s the main tool used by a graphic designer for most of the graphics design work. You need to have a very creative mind to use this tool.
- InDesign: It’s a desktop publishing and typesetting software which is used to create works such as posters, flyers, brochures, magazines, newspapers, presentations, books, ebooks etc.
- Adobe XD: It’s a vector-based user experience design tool for web apps and mobile apps.
- Balsamiq Wireframes: It’s a graphical user interface website wireframe builder app. It allows the web designers to arrange pre-built widgets using a drag-and-drop WYSIWYG editor. It has many other features as well.
Graphic Designer Responsibilities
A graphic designer is responsible for performing following work:
- Communicate with clients or company’s art director to discuss a project
- Use designing tools to create appealing designs
- Create visual elements like – logos, original images, art work, website designs etc.
- Design layouts and select colors, images, and typefaces to use
- Presentation of design concepts to clients or art directors
- Modification or changes to give final touch to designs
Graphic Designers: Key skills required
- Excellent hold over design and photo-editing software like – Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver etc.
- Exceptional creativity and innovation to create out-of-the-box designs
- Time management and organisational skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Should follow the latest trends and their role within a commercial environment
- Should be able to work on tight deadlines
Graphic Designers Salary in India
On an average, graphic designers get an annual package of Rs 3 to Rs 4 lakhs at the beginning of their career. Typical employers of graphic designers include – advertising agencies, large print houses, brand agencies, signage companies, book, magazine and newspaper publishers, multimedia companies, television and broadcasting companies etc. A graphic designer can also work as a freelancer or establish his/her own design studio.